Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Exit Slip - Mon, Nov 23

The video we watched reminds me of Silent Way, one of the methods used to teach pronunciation. It doesn't make sense when we first think about it, as pronunciation is teaching sounds, segmentals, and suprasegmentals that are to be taught by modeling and getting students exposed to the correct models, but it makes perfect sense when we begin to think beyond the surface. I made this link between Math and teaching English pronunciation via Silent Way, as I found the video did exactly that, i.e. the students were well engaged and actively participated without the typical and traditional pencil/paper approach. I look forward to using this approach with slight modifications depending on the topic/subject of course in my classroom.

Moreover, the video demonstrated long pauses when the teacher posed a question. This is something that I think all educators should consider to allow enough thinking time for students to get their cognitive processes working. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting observation-- especially since Caleb Gattegno, who invented the Silent Way in language teaching was also an important mathematics educator, who influenced Dave Hewitt greatly! I can see the connections here for sure.

    ReplyDelete